History of Ear, Nose & Throat SpecialtyCare
In 1997 Minneapolis ENT Clinic, PA merged with Head and Neck Physicians and Surgeons Clinic, PA to become Ear, Nose and Throat SpecialtyCare. In 1999 Ear, Nose and Throat SpecialtyCare merged with ENT, PA and the combined entity kept the Ear, Nose and Throat SpecialtyCare name. Like the offspring of proud parents, Ear, Nose and Throat SpecialtyCare has its own set of organizational DNA. Our DNA comes from 3 smaller groups: Minneapolis ENT Clinic (MENTC); ENT, PA; and Head and Neck Physician and Surgeons, PA.
Minneapolis ENT Clinic, PA (MENT)
In 1961 Dr. Hyman Paisner MD finished his residency in Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery at the University of Minnesota. He had planned on returning to Canada where he had been a family practitioner for many years. Instead he opened an office as a solo Otolaryngologist in the Physicians & Surgeons building on the comer of 9th and Nicollet in downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota.
In 1963 Melvin Sigel MD finished his residency at the University of Minnesota. After a one-year fellowship at the University of Zurich in Switzerland, Dr. Sigel returned to Minnesota. Instead of pursuing full-time academic practice, Dr. Sigel joined Dr. Paisner in private practice.
In 1969 Gary Garvis MD completed his residency at the University of Minnesota. After serving three years in the Army stationed in Heidelberg, Germany, he returned to Minneapolis in 1972 and joined Drs. Paisner and Sigel. Together they would incorporate and become the Minneapolis ENT Clinic (MENT).
In the ensuing decades, the group would continue to thrive and grow. By the time of the mergers, the group had grown to include the following physicians:
1978 – Richard Levinson, M.D.
1980 – Carl Brown, M.D.
1987 – Merrill Biel, M.D., PhD
1993 – Greg Barth, M.D.
1996 – Karin Evan, M.D.
1997 – Bill Garvis, M.D.
In the late 1950’s, Conrad Holmberg MD and Harold S. Ulvestad MD were associated in practice with Lawrence Boies MD with offices in the Doctors’ Building next door to the Medical Arts Building in Minneapolis. Doctor Boies was head of the Ear, Nose and Throat Department at the University Medical School on a part time basis. In 1958 Dr. Boies decided to pursue full-time academic practice at University of Minnesota. He ceased to practice downtown and Drs. Holmberg and Ulvestad were alone in the Doctors’ Building office. Robert E. Priest MD was loosely associated with Drs. Holmberg and Ulvestad, mainly by “trading calls” when their offices were closed on weekends and holidays.
One evening in 1958 Drs. Holmberg, Priest and Ulvestad were walking to the parking lot together after leaving their offices. Dr. Ulvestad proposed that they explore the possibility of uniting their practices. In the years between 1958 and 1960, they met regularly in the evenings to plan the clinic. They opened the doors of ENT, PA, in a space on the third floor of the Medical Arts Building in Minneapolis, on January 1, 1960. It wasn’t until 1969 however that ENT, PA was incorporated.
The group grew to include John S. Huff MD, Robert J. Richardson MD, John D. Banovetz MD and Thomas Christiansen MD. By the time of the merger, the group was comprised of:
1976 – Thomas Christiansen, M.D.
1980 – Rolf Ulvestad, M.D.
1988 – Matthew Griebe, M.D.
1995 – Michael Murphy, M.D.
1996 – Ben Soumekh, M.D.
Head and Neck Physicians and Surgeons Clinic, PA
In 1976 Leighton Siegel MD began practicing in St. Paul, MN. In 1978 Stephen Liston MD arrived in Minnesota and began working at the University of Minnesota. In 1978 he began working Dr. Siegel on a part-time basis. He left the University in 1986 to join Dr. Siegel full-time in the formation of Head and Neck Physicians and Surgeons Clinic, PA. By the time of the merger in 1997 the group grew to include:
1987 – Jeffery Manlove, M.D.
1993 – Jon Thomas, M.D.
Ear, Nose & Throat SpecialtyCare
ENTSC has continued to grow and remain a vibrant organization. Since the merger the group has added the following physicians: